Monday, February 28, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 2 (Your Least Favourite Song)

For day 2 of the 30 Day Song Challenge, I was kind of stumped. It asks for my least favourite song, and to be honest there are a lot of songs that I just don't bother with, and don't give much thought to if they don't affect me somehow. If I don't like a song, I tend not to actively hate on it, but rather leave it alone so that it can't annoy me anymore. However, after thinking on it for a while, I realised that this song is one of the few I can actively hate, simply because it's (even still) played on the radio and in bars and nightclubs quite a lot, and quite simply it offends me. (It doesn't even have the decency to fit inside my blogbox.)
 
I'm not going to write a lot about this song because, to be honest, I don't want to waste more time or brainpower on it than I already have, but I think that what I do have to say is sufficiently concise and vitriolic.
My major problem with this track is that the Black Eyed Peas took a perfectly good---even classic---surf song and just put some shouting over it. It's the musical equivalent of idiots on YouTube re-dubbing movies with their own "funny" dialogue. This song is not clever, it's not imaginitive, it's not a "loving homage" or whatever the Black Eyed Peas want to call it: it's a shit. It's a big steaming pile of faeces left on top of a Dick Dale record, because they think they can be "gangsta" or whatever by using the song that became iconic because of Pulp Fiction, one of the most forced attempts at a gangster movie I've ever seen (but that's another discussion). My point here is: what's the point? Why, Black Eyed Peas, did you think this was cool? It's not big or clever to record yourself shouting obscenities over a classic rock song. I could do that. Anyone could do that. You just happened to make millions off it. Maybe I'm just jealous. Right, I'm gonna get drunk and shout over Jim Morrison for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment