Monday, March 28, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 30 (Your Favourite Song From Last Year)

And now the end is near. We face the final curtain and all that. No, unfortunately Sinatra is not my closing song here. Maybe that’s for the best; don’t want to get too sitcom about it. Today’s song choice wasn’t my favourite song last year; that honour will always lie with All Along the Watchtower. I can’t really remember what I was listening to last year---it mustn’t have been very good---but I do remember listening to this one a lot, and loving it.


Probably because of Jackie Brown (Tarantino’s best, no doubt), with its brilliantly colourful and energetic opening credits. Probably because of its groovy beat, slidey brass and slippery vocals. Or probably because it’s just a cool song. Difficult to tell one from t'other, but they all add up to a really funky soul track, and a bombastic ending to this little journalistic experiment of mine.

It’s been tough limiting myself to only 30 songs, since there are so many more rattling around my head, so many artists left tragically unrepresented here. I neglected The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, The Doors, Love, David Bowie, Primal Scream, Slowdive, Rush, Lou Reed, Sandy Bull, Marillion, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Depeche Mode, Jeff Buckley, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Laura Nyro, Prince, Broken Social Scene, Donovan, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Patti Smith, Nick Drake, Parliament/Funkadelic, and so many more that the thought of them all is overloading my brain.

There’s so much music in my life that it’s almost impossible to edit it down into bitesize chunks; there are so many songs that mean so much to me, so many bands and musicians who have changed everything around for me more than once that I couldn’t possibly do justice to my love for music in only 30 songs, but even though I’m done writing about music for now, I’ll never be done listening and living and loving. So there’s only one thing for it: flip that record over, drop the needle in the lead-in and spin it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment